My Dorm Room Inventory:
chair
windowseat
2rugs
ottoman
wall covered in photos
lamp
fridge
coffee maker
pumpkin
alarm clock
books
laundry basket/detergent
jewelry box
tissues
bathrobe
pictures drawn by my cousins
scarves
food
mirror
french horn
fan
pillows
computer
music
makeup
dishes
frisbee
princess blanket
t-shirt quilt
garbage can
purses
medicine
lotion
hair gel
school supplies
cards from my family
duct tape
christmas lights
towels
shoes
Looking at this list following todays class, I am struck by the differences between my list and the colonial-era list which my group examined in class. Our person was Captain Thomas Barber, who appeared to be an aspiring, if not elite, citizen. His belongings were numerous, but largely to the effect of being useful or demonstrating social status. He had many items useful for cooking and/or having large dinner parties. I however, do not place as much value on large social functions in my dorm room, as I only have one plate, cup, and spoon. We both, however, recognized the necessity of such items as food. However, mine is more of a snack variety than his tea and ham. Thomas had several tables for tea as well as tea-making items such as a tea chest and tea cups and spoons. I, however, make coffee instead of tea and have social snacking on our windowseat. The general concept remains the same, however, the method of such socialization is different for me today. I also find more sentimental items in my own room. Capt. Barber had few items that I would consider "personal" belongings, however, this shows only that I place high value upon such items as photographs. Perhaps Cap. Barber had much value placed upon his guns or certain items of furniture, however, this cannot be determined simply by looking at the list. My list, however, demonstrates a certain attachment to people which his does not without knowing more intimately the details of his life. All in all, I think it is quite fascinating to examine the ways in which my items reflect my values in comparison with those I infer from looking at the colonial list.
No comments:
Post a Comment