Search This Blog
Monday, February 14, 2011
Lincoln, Lincoln, Lincoln: Up, up, and away.
Chapter 3 of Cullen's, "The American Dream," is focused upon "The Dream of Upward Mobility," which he writes is the idea that anyone, through hard work and determination can reach success and happiness. He claims this Dream is reflected upon American society in some new and different ways, namely by tracing the evolution of the idea of Upward Mobility through some of the nation's most prominent leaders. Cullen asserts that it was through men such as Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Jackson, and Abraham Lincoln that what many see as the American Dream came into being. But what really caught my eye in this writing was a quote by Alexis de Tocqueville, who writes of the challenges of equality and upward mobility. He writes, "In a democratic society, as elsewhere, there is only a certain number of great fortunes to be made; and as all the paths that lead to them are indiscriminately open to all, the progress must necessarily be slackened..the candidates appear to be nearly alike, and as it is difficult to make a selection without infringing the principle of equality" (72). This quote spoke to me because I think it underlines what is becoming the true challenge of the American Dream in our day and age. As our standards of living rise and equality between races is beginning to be better realized, it becomes more and more difficult for Americans to achieve affluence, as there are fewer "natural" benefits which separate them from the others, and many can take advantage of opportunities such as education, even if they are still more difficult to achieve than for some. I think this becomes the great challenge for our generation, as we seek to distinguish ourselves and continue with the Dream of Upward Mobility in a time of recession, when fewer jobs are available and being different is becoming more difficult. I would love to say that I know how to reverse this trend without reverting to inequality and injustice. I wish I could say I knew how to come up with an even better facet of the American Dream that is more attainable in our time. But I don't. Toqueville's words simply give me an idea to ponder, a puzzle to continue to sort out for myself as I embark on my own journey of upward mobility.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment