Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thoreau rolls in his grave


I was particularly amused by Thoreau's musings on the expense of college living.   He writes, "At Cambridge College the mere rent of a student’s room, which is only a little larger than my own, is thirty dollars each year…and the occupant suffers the inconvenience of many and noisy neighbors, and perhaps a residence in the fourth story.  I cannot but think that if we had more true wisdom in these respects, not only less education would be needed…but the pecuniary expense of getting an education would in a great measure vanish”(45). I cannot imagine what Thoreau would say if he knew how much it costs to attend and live at St. Olaf.   Actually, I can presume that he would probably write another book, this one a condemnation of the education system peppered with sarcastic anecdotes about our frivolous lives.   As a resident of the fourth floor of Hoyme myself, with the bathroom as my neighbor, rife with those who blow dry their hair at one in the morning, I understand all too well that of which he speaks.  Oh!  If only I had begun reading at age 2 instead of 4!  I could have digested his book years ago, as well as several others and done away with the pesky inconvenience of a $45,000 education!  Yet, ironically, it is because of this path of education that I have read his book and have found his advice.  Shall I drop out and move nearer to a lake?   No.  I shall stay, and, oh, what does he call it? Pursue my own way.  That rhymed, rather diminishing the effects of my joke, but in any case, I presume that somewhere, Thoreau is rolling in his grave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment