Search This Blog
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
POP! BAM! WOW! (The Back in Action Post)
I never particularly thought that I would begin blogging before the school year officially began, I didn't see myself as one of those early-start types...but I guess I found myself having a bit of a blogging itch. As the end of summer quickly approaches (9 days until class begins, yikes!) and my job winds down, I have found myself in want of a few productive things to do. Thus, I began Ragtime, a big step for me in my anti-procrastination goals. I have to admit, while the book was not a particularly quick read (small print, dense writing) it was engrossing. I am seriously considering watching the movie as well, largely for seeing how they managed the adaptation. In any case, please prepare for a slew of Ragtime-inspired posts. I plan on blogging about Ragtime music and how it relates to the novel, trains (flashback!) and the transition to airplanes, historical accuracy/deviations, and the concept of justice as presented in the novel and in relation to American life. Perhaps that will be enough to satisfy my need for productivity. As for the rest of my time, I'll be the pool, soaking up the last rays of Wisconsin summer sun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the new sunflower theme! DeAne
ReplyDeleteIt's also a musical. :) But yes, I'd also agree that Ragtime, whilst definitely not being my favorite (reading it while on vacation probably contributed to that), addresses the many themes that we've been asking ourselves over the last couple of semesters-What's happiness; Who is an "American"; Who are "we"? (In a phrase: Existential crises).
ReplyDeleteAnd I feel you on the print. I got one of the 1970s editions (because we owned it for some strange reason) and it had that horribly tiny font, along with that book smell that seems to permeate the 1970s.