I have to vent. I was happily cruising along through the "People like us: Social Class in America" article when I came across a phrase that is really not all that related to the topic. However, I feel the need to forcefully disagree. The author writes" Take musical instruments. In a symphony orchestra the customary ranking of sections recognizes the difficulty and degree of subtlety of various kinds of instruments: strings are on top, woodwinds just below, then brass, and, at the bottom, percussion." This is wrong, and insulting to boot. As a very proud member of the brass section of the St. Olaf Band, (I play French Horn) I am disturbed that the author of this article would include an example of hierarchy that is so incorrect. This also does (I am aware) reflect his very point that those listed at the middle or bottom of a hierarchy become the most enraged by the topic of class. WELL, being listed at the BOTTOM, yes. I am mad. Not only for that, but because he did not take the time to check the accuracy of his examples. The instruments are not arranged due to the difficulty of their respective crafts. They are arranged so due to numbers and sound. String players are the most numerous within an orchestra, the largest body of sound, and the quietest. Woodwinds, brass and percussion can cut through the sounds of the strings from further back, and woodwinds in particular are important to the tuning of the entire ensemble, thus are placed in the middle. Brass are the loudest section, thus placing them in the back is logical as they don't drown out the rest of the ensemble or prevent others from hearing themselves and others play. Percussion is the driving force and keeper of time and rhythm for the entire orchestra, and everyone needs to be able to hear them, thus they are placed where their sound will travel forward to all members of the ensemble. To say that violins have the most difficult instrument is a sentiment which would likely appeal to a string player...but I have many a violin-playing friend which can attest to the falsehood of this statement. Each instrument has its own subtlety to manage. Give a violin player a horn. They WILL NOT be able to be anywhere near on pitch, let alone physically produce more a few notes. Woodwinds have the added difficulty of reeds, which are very touchy, as well as parts which are technically close to difficulty to the strings with breathing to deal with as well. Percussion has the HUGE responsibility of being able to play multiple instruments AND keeping the entire ensemble on track. Brass is physically the most demanding, stressing muscles in the face to the extreme. So, I have to say this author is WAY off mark. A better example of hierarchy within a musical ensemble would be the hierarchy within sections. There is always a principal player, organized hierarchically below. Certain sections have their own specialties. This more accurately reflects what he is trying to project about social class, and takes into account the "occupational" differences he has also mentioned.
Alright. I'm done. I needed to do that. If you read this far, bravo. I commend you for keeping up with my self-preserving whining.
Okay. You warned us.
ReplyDeleteNow I have a response. The author may be wrong about this musical example, but hierarchy within the sections won't work as an example of class, because class is a group phenomenon, not an individual one. We'll have to keep looking for a useful analogy.
haha fair enough, fair enough :)
ReplyDelete